Ford just released its top-of-the-line 2012 GT500 Super Snake before the 2011 New York Auto Show; a move to outdone the latest 2012 Camaro ZL1. The new 2012 Ford Super Snake is now powered by a 5.4-liter supercharged V8 producing a monstrous 800 horsepower. The Shelby GT500 Super Snake will be the most powerful American muscle car to ever come out of a production line.
“Shelby American has a rich history at the New York International Auto Show,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American Inc. “The very first Shelby car was introduced there in 1962, as well as the 1968 and 2008 Shelby GT500KR and the 2006 Shelby Hertz GT-H. This year, we’re returning with one of the most powerful and important Shelbys ever built.”
When first introduced in 2008, the Super Snake had only 605 horsepower, but the power war between its Camaro rival throughout the years had pushed the Super Snake’s power to astromical figures.
“With more horsepower, the 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake is a strong performer both on the road and the track,” noted Gary Patterson, vice president of operations at Shelby American. “This Super Snake will deliver the driving experience that enthusiasts expect from the Shelby brand.”
With the live axle on the 2012 Super Snake Mustang, we are not sure how it is going to put all that power to the ground without shredding some tires. We love to see some performance numbers run against the Corvette and Nissan GT-R again. Last time around, the Super Snake ranked last of the three.
The latest Super Snake model will come with a number of upgrades including:
• Ford Racing handling pack including dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars and front strut tower brace
• An optional Shelby / Eibach handling pack is available
• 6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio and short-throw shifter
• The standard tune upgrades power to over 750 HP and 590 ft./lbs. of torque
• Optional Shelby / Kenne Bell 800 horsepower tune on pump gas
• Borla exhaust system
• Shelby-designed Alcoa 20-inch wheels in durabright or anthracite
• Forged Shelby / Baer brakes with 6 piston calipers and cross drilled / vented rotors
• Front brake cooling ducts and behind the door side scoops
• Unique fiberglass hood featuring classic Shelby design and pins
• Shelby signature Super Snake stripes in either matte black or matte white
• “Super Snake” vehicle badges and official Shelby CSM interior plate
• “Shelby” lettering across the rear deck lid
• Optional two tone leather interior
• Shelby signature embroidered headrests, floor mats and other Shelby designed components
The 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake will make its debut at the New York Auto Show later this month, and we’ll sure to have all the glorious pictures for you.