2011-Nissan-GT-R-1.jpg">88972011 Nissan GT-R-1″ /2011-Nissan-GT-R-1-620×412
Nissan is relentlessly developing and fine tuning the Nissan GT-R every year to be better than the Porshe 911 Turbo. And this year is no exception either. Through the introduction of the 2011 Nissan GT-R model, Nissan is improving performance and incorporating new features, and at the same time adding on two new models to its lineup.
In the 2011 GT-R, new upgrades can be found outside, inside and underneath hood. For the exterior, although it may look the same as last year model, Nissan has strenuous arduously to improve aerodynamics, which helps increasing down force by 10% at the same time cutting down drag. Noticeably, you will see changes in the fresh bumpers front and rear, bigger vents and diffuser. In addition, integrated LED running lights are now located on the front corners. As for the cockpit, it gets an innovative instrument panel with carbon fiber trim.
Not only appearance makes the 2011 Nissan GT-R marketable, its internal performance is what really set itself apart from other sports cars. Nissan has boosted the 2011 Nissan GT-R to an even higher threshold by valve timing adjustment and the ECU recalibration. As a result, this pushes the power output to 523 horsepower and 451 pound-feet of torque, which is about 38 horsepower and 17 lb-feet of torque more than previous year model. The engine also gets a glowing red cover to show off its awesomeness.
In the suspension department, new strut brace links and suspension towers are added and fine tuned to further enhance the stability of the 2011 Nissan GT-R. A new set of 20-inch Rays wheels are all helped to cover the redesigned larger vented brake discs as well.
All of the new enhancements are equipped to the standard Nissan GT-R and to the SpecV. But this year, Nissan is also adding two new variants to the GT-R family: the Club Track edition and the Egoist version. The GT-R Club Track model has been developed particularly for the race track. While the Egoist variant gets an exclusive quilted leather interior, a carbon spoiler, wheels and titanium exhaust to set it apart from other GT-R models.
The 2011 Nissan GT-R just made its debut at the 2010 Paris Motor Show, and it will be available in North Americas near February 2011.
[ title=”Press Release”]
Nissan Releases the 11MY Nissan GT-R
YOKOHAMA (October 18, 2010) – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the 11MY Nissan GT-R, which goes on sale November 17th at Nissan dealers nationwide in Japan.
For 11MY, GT-R features improved engine output and torque, greater fuel efficiency, revised handling, a refreshed exterior with improved aerodynamics, revised interior treatment and new wheels and tires. The large number of enhancements for the new model year is part of the continuous advancement of the GT-R design, technology and performance since its debut in December 2007. Nissan has also enhanced the level of after-sales support for GT-R owners, providing even greater value for customers.
The “World of GT-R” expands again this year with the addition of a racing circuit use-only “Club Track” edition and an ultra-exclusive “EGOIST” version that can be custom-ordered according to the precise desires of each individual customer. The complete 11MY Nissan GT-R model lineup now includes six versions – the “Pure edition,” “Black edition,” “Premium edition,” “SpecV,” “Club Track” and “EGOIST” – allowing customers to choose the exact level of dynamic performance and style to meet their various needs.
The 11MY Nissan GT-R will also be released in North America, Europe and other regions after February 2011. Nissan is considering introducing EGOIST in Europe and the Middle East, and the Club Track edition in Europe as well.
11MY Nissan GT-R Overview
Developed under the theme of offering the “world’s best multi-performance and responsive driving pleasure,” every area of the GT-R has been carefully rethought or retuned for 11MY. The changes range from greater body stability and strength and improved aerodynamics performance to a sportier interior and enhanced performance. Following are the key enhancements of the creative GT-R design.
Engine and Transmission Enhancements
* By modifying the boost pressure of the turbocharger, valve timing and air mixture ratio, reducing intake air resistance by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter, and reducing exhaust air resistance through use of an enlarged section of exhaust pipe, fuel economy is improved to 8.5km/L (10-15 mode) or 8.6km/L (JC08 mode).
* At the same time, the engine output is significantly improved to 390kW(530ps)/6,400rpm with maximum torque of 612N・m(62.5kgf・m) from 3,200 to 6,000 rpm. A new red color engine cover is used to demonstrate its greater performance.
* Cleaner emissions are realized through adopting an ultra-low precious metal catalyst and ECM with high-capacity microprocessor – achieving SU-LEV certification levels (emitting 75% fewer emissions than Japan’s 2005 exhaust emission standards).
* A new SAVE mode is adopted, which optimizes driving torque and modifies the shift schedule to improve actual fuel economy when driving highways or open roads. This mode also helps reduce ankle fatigue.
* Starting performance while selecting “R mode” for the transmission and VDC-R is improved.
* To control tight corner braking phenomenon, which can occur when starting the vehicle while turning the steering wheel, 2WD mode is added to temporarily shift to 2WD driving.
* When the vehicle speed is below 10km/h and the steering wheel is turned more than halfway.
* A highly rigid, lightweight strut supporting bar, made of carbon composite with aluminum honeycomb material, is installed in the partition wall of the engine compartment. By linking the right and left struts to quickly receive suspension input, the vehicle body’s responsiveness to driving operation is enhanced.
* An additional support member is installed in the passenger side of the instrument panel. Responsiveness of the vehicle body is further improved by enhanced rigidity for connection with the engine compartment.
* For further production accuracy, the fitting precision of the body panels is enhanced and a higher-precision G sensor is utilized in checking the instrument panel during the vibration testing of each vehicle body.
Suspension and Braking Modifications
* For the front suspension, the lever ratio of the springs, shock absorbers and stabilizer bar is modified to improve the vertical load response of the tires. Front caster angle is increased from 5°35 to 6°00 to improve tire road holding ability when turning and stability while driving straight.
* For the rear suspension, toe performance is modified by changing the roll center height to a lower position in order to improve tire grip while making turns and to better communicate driving feel.
* An aluminum free-piston shock absorber design is newly developed which generates more precise damping force to constantly provide stable road holding and a load shift that quickly responds to driver’s intention. Reduced friction in the shock absorbers provides high quality, smooth ride comfort.
* A thin, large-diameter rotor (Φ390) developed uniquely by Nissan is adopted to improve braking force, fade resistance, pedal control ability and extend brake rotor life for sporty driving.
Wheels and Tires
* The 11MY GT-R also features newly designed, lighter weight and more rigid forged aluminum-alloy wheels. Made by Rays, the wheels help improve tire responsiveness to vertical load. Knurling inside the wheel is modified to avoid deviation of tire rotation direction caused by the higher engine output. On the wheel surface, a new Hyper Blue Black Chrome color is adopted, which expresses high quality and high-performance feel. The wheels’ deep gloss is created by utilization of a five-layer coating process.
* The Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT 600 DSST CTT tires have a new compound to improve tire grip. With renewed structure and improved tread and sidewall rigidity, straight-line stability in rutted roads is enhanced.
Exterior and aerodynamics
* Even with GT-R’s already intense and stable form, its world-leading aerodynamics performance is further improved through a number of significant enhancements. Downforce is increased by about 10%, while the coefficient of drag is further reduced from 0.27 to 0.26.
* Stability is improved by enlarged bumper and grille openings
* The front bumper is newly designed with double rectifier fins and Hyper Daylight with a large-diameter reflecting surface and high intensity white-color LED lights. The design increases front downforce by about 10%, while also reducing air resistance inside the engine compartment. The volume of air that passes through the radiator and cools down the front brakes is also increased.
* Additional plated parts are used for headlight inner panels, enhancing the car’s strong presence.
* The redesigned rear bumper features a lower center of gravity than the previous design, created by a sculptured lower portion and extended length. Underfloor cooling performance is enhanced with air resistance reduced by extending a rear diffuser.
* Cooling performance for the muffler is improved and rear downforce is increased by about 10% through use of a new rear bumper air outlet, which helps remove air in the rear wheelhouses.
* A newly designed tailpipe finisher with enlarged diameter is adopted. Rear high-intensity LED fog lamps are provided as standard equipment to help improve visibility from vehicles behind in rainy or snowy conditions.
* Six exterior colors are available, including two new colors: Meteo Flake Black Pearl (2P) and Aurora Flare Blue Pearl (2P). (Both are special colors.)
* A newly shaped instrument panel pad and navigation system display finisher are adopted, with stitch lines changed to express an enhanced quality feel.
* Real carbon center cluster finisher is used, along with matte black finished switches.
* The GT-R emblem at the center of the steering wheel has a new velour-like coating, expressing a glossy texture. For the paddle shift, a coating exposing the magnesium base material is applied.
* Chrome-plated rings in the console and air-conditioner outlets are finished with a new black smoky coating, expressing greater sportiness.
* Seats for Pure edition and Premium edition provide an improved level of comfort and safety while cornering. In addition, fatigue levels are reduced for the thighs and lower back by changing the shape, extending the length of seating surface and refurbishing the cushion stroke. A new seatback design seatback is adopted to improve fit.
* The Black edition has leather-appointed bucket seats using a Recaro design based on the structure of Pure edition and Premium edition seats.
Modifications applicable only to the SpecV are as follows:
* Engine modifications are the same as the base model with improved maximum power output and torque, as well as enhanced fuel economy, except maximum torque is improved to 612N・m(62.5kgf・m)/ 3,200～6,000rpm (632N・m(64.5kgf・m)/ 3,600～5,600rpm). (Figures in parenthesis are when high geared boost is used.)
* To improve abrasion resistance and stability in racing circuit driving, rear brake pad material is changed and VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) balance under braking is modified.
* Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT 600 DSST CTT tire is adopted as a standard feature.
* Special Rays lightweight aluminum forging wheels for the SpecV are adopted from the previous model with the color changed to Metallic Black.
Club Track edition
The Club Track edition, developed exclusively for racing circuit use, allows drivers to experience the full performance potential of the Nissan GT-R. Special parts for racing circuit driving are installed by the Authorised Servicefactory Association, which is also in charge of the distribution. A wide range of events and activities for Club Track edition owners will be held as well, including one-on-one competition training sessions given by professional drivers and special races organized mainly by the Nissan GT-R Authorised Servicefactory Association.
For inquiries about distribution and events for Club Track edition:
Nissan GT-R Authorised Servicefactory
NISMO Omori Factory: 2-10-6 Minami-Oi, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo
Nova Engineering: 220-1 Omika, Oyama-cho, Sunto-Gun, Shizuoka
NordRing: 2723-8 Miyadera, Iruma-shi, Saitama
EGOIST is the first and only Nissan GT-R in the world exclusively created by Takumi, or “master with greatest skills.” Each customer can choose a combination of interior colors among 20 choices. In addition, the Bose® sound system is exclusively tuned according to the driving position of each driver to meet every customer’s needs. This is the ultimate expression of the Nissan GT-R.
Customers can choose a combination of interior colors among 20 choices, four upper area interior colors and 10 lower area interior colors. Interior parts are sent to Seton Company, Inc. Muelheim an der Ruhr in Germany and leather master craftsmen sew and stick carefully selected leather by hand.
Seats are an exclusive quilted design with single and double stitching combined in a reticular pattern. Enhanced body grip performance (suitable for racing circuit driving), smoothness and fit are all provided.
Wajima Lacquer (Maki-e) Emblem
Wajima Maki-e with deep coloring and glaze created by Mr. Sakae Kubota, an accredited traditional craftsman for Japanese lacquer, is used for the GT-R emblem at the center of the steering wheel. The beautiful coloring of Maki-e changes as time goes by.
Bose® Precision Sound System
Specially developed carbon composite-based woofers, which can cancel vibrations through their high rigidity and damping, are installed. In addition, sound quality is adjusted by Bose® exclusively for each owner, depending on individual driving position.
Carbon Rear Spoiler
EGOIST adopts a dry carbon rear spoiler (also used in the SpecV). Providing stable aerodynamic performance, even when driving at more than 300km/h, the rear spoiler gives an intense look in the rear with its black carbon color.
RAYS Forged Aluminum-Alloy Wheels
Lightweight and highly rigid forged aluminum-alloy wheels, also used in the SpecV, reduce unsprung weight and help provide a supple ride feel. Newly developed five-layer Blue Sword Chrome Color Coating is adopted.
Titanium Exhaust System
EGOIST uses a Titanium exhaust system, also used in the SpecV, providing agile accelerator response and a clear, exhilarating exhaust sound.